Cooking, Dinner, Entree, food, Food Photography, pasta, photography, Photos, recipe, Sauce, Vodka, Vodka sauce
My husband husband hosted a party at our house last night for some of his colleagues. As I was planning the menu I decided that I would make things that are “typical” favorites and are easy to make in large quantities. I decided for the main course (after a dozen appetizers of course lol) that I would serve Penne with Vodka Sauce, Chicken Francaise, roasted veges and salad. Penne with Vodka sauce is really quite easy to make a few servings or for a party of 30.
- 1 pound penne cooked according to package directions
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped finel
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup vodka (use the good stuff – it does make a difference!)
- 1 14-ounce can tomato puree
- 1 cup heavy cream or to make it lighter you can use fat free half and half
- Red pepper flake to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup fresh parsley finely chopped
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, drain and set aside.
- In a saucepan, sauté the garlic and onions in 2 tablespoons butter and the 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat until soft.
- Carefully and slowly pour the vodka into the saucepan.
- Cook 2 to 3 minutes to reduce the sauce.
- Pour in the tomato puree and stir thoroughly.
- Reduce the heat to low.
- Pour in the heavy cream and stir.
- Lower the flame to the lowest setting possible.
- Add red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in parsley
- Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon butter.
- Pour the drained pasta into the sauce and gently toss to combine.
- Just prior to serving sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Pingback: Chicken Francaise | Bits and Bytes
That is a great recipe Shari! i bet it would have tasted wonderful.
Bunny Eats Design said:
Interesting. I’ve never used vodka in cooking. How does it differ in flavour?
The sauce is rich and creamy. The alcohol cooks out of the sauce so it doesnt taste like vodka, but it is important to use good vodka because the taste does differ greatly.