My husband husband hosted a party at our house last night for some of his colleagues. As I was planning the menu I decided that I would make things that are “typical” favorites and are easy to make in large quantities. I decided for the main course (after a dozen appetizers of course lol) that I would serve Penne with Vodka Sauce, Chicken Francaise, roasted veges and salad. Penne with Vodka sauce is really quite easy to make a few servings or for a party of 30.
- 1 pound penne cooked according to package directions
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped finel
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup vodka (use the good stuff – it does make a difference!)
- 1 14-ounce can tomato puree
- 1 cup heavy cream or to make it lighter you can use fat free half and half
- Red pepper flake to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup fresh parsley finely chopped
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, drain and set aside.
- In a saucepan, sauté the garlic and onions in 2 tablespoons butter and the 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat until soft.
- Carefully and slowly pour the vodka into the saucepan.
- Cook 2 to 3 minutes to reduce the sauce.
- Pour in the tomato puree and stir thoroughly.
- Reduce the heat to low.
- Pour in the heavy cream and stir.
- Lower the flame to the lowest setting possible.
- Add red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in parsley
- Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon butter.
- Pour the drained pasta into the sauce and gently toss to combine.
- Just prior to serving sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.