It is soup season!! Oh how I love soup season. The leaves are past their prime and the weather is more chilly than warm. This is the type of weather that calls for soup! Each week (almost every) I make a new soup. My family members each take a turn selecting the soup of the week. If left it to my daughter each week we would have a creamy and cheesy soup, my son would want a spicy soup and husband probably some version of cream of mushroom soup. I tend to like the hearty soups like : vegetable, Pasta Fagioli, kale and bean etc…. No matter what soup is made we all look forward to it.
This week I choose to make a quick and easy lentil and pea soup. It is healthy and filling.
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped carrots
- 1 -2 garlic gloves minced
- 1 tsp Herbs De Provence or more to taste
- Olive Oil
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 56 oz of low sodium Vegetable or Chicken Stock
- 1 1/2 cup dry lentils rinsed (I used yellow and red lentils)
- 1/2 cup dry split peas rinsed ( I used yellow and green)
- 1/4 cup red kidney beans (from a can – rinsed)
- 1/4 cup alphabet pasta
- Saute onion, celery, carrots, and garlic in olive oil until soft.
- Add Herbs De Provence and stir
- Add tomato paste, stir and cook 2 minutes
- Add stock , beans, and pasta and bring to a boil
- Lower flame and simmer for about an hour until beans are soft. (stir occasionally)