X is for Xtra Xtra Fudgy Flourless Chocolate Cake. This flourless cake is so rich, and so fudgy that a small sliver is all you need – but a nice size slice is what you will want. I first blogged about this over a year ago, but the pictures I took were horrible due to the lighting – so I really needed to repost! Plus I agreed to make this cake and share 1/2 with my neighbor in exchange for some smoked brisket and smoked pulled pork. They were both great! I hope to convince her one day to blog too – great food and great personality!
- 12 oz semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
Ganache Glaze Ingredients
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 teaspoon milk or heavy cream
- 3 teaspoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
Directions for the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Spray a 9-inch spring form pan with cooking spray.
- Melt 12 ounces of chocolate chips and the butter in a heavy saucepan over medium low heat.
- Stir until chocolate and butter are melted and smooth.
- Add sugar and salt and reduce heat to low. Cook another minute while stirring
- Remove pan from heat and whisk in the eggs one at a time.
- Add vanilla
- Use a mesh hand sieve to sift cocoa into mixture to avoid lumps.
- Whisk until the cake batter is smooth.
- Pour batter into pan and bake for about 25 minutes. The center of the cake will be firm to the touch, but it will bounce back and be slightly moist. It is important not to over bake or the cake will be dry.
- Cool the cake in the pan on a cooling rack for 15 minutes.
- Invert the cake on a plate.
Prepare the Glaze:
- Melt 4 ounces of chocolate chips and 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter in a saucepan over medium low heat until melted and smooth.
- Remove from heat and stir in the milk, honey and vanilla.
- Let the glaze cool for a few minutes and then pour over cake. Use a spatula to spread the glaze evenly over the entire cake and sides.
- Let glaze set before serving or if you are short on time stick the cake in the freezer for 10 minutes to help the glaze set.