I was inspired to make this pizza after visiting Austin, Texas last year and eating dinner at a place called Second Bar and Kitchen on Congress Avenue. I fell in love with the combination of flavors. This pizza is a savory rich pizza. It combines sweet caramelized onions, sauteed mushrooms and spinach, Gorgonzola or Blue cheese and grilled skirt steak. (or in this case only 1/2 of the pizza has steak due to the demands of my household!) I generally make this pizza when I make my caramelized onion and 4 cheese pizza since I am already caramelizing onions.
- 2 large Vidalia onions thinly sliced
- Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup red wine (optional) or if not using wine 1/4 cup water
- Homemade or store bought pizza dough or I love to use Mama Mary’s Ready Made Pizza Crusts for a quick fix!
- 6 oz baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 10 oz fresh baby spinach
- 6 oz Gorgonzola cheese or Blue Cheese
- Skirt steak seasoned with salt and pepper to taste.
- Caramelize the onions (see how here in my caramelized onion pizza recipe) and set them aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400. Put your pizza stone or pan in the oven at this time too.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms and cook until soft and lightly browned. Set them aside.
- Add a bit more olive oil to the pan and saute the spinach until wilted. Set aside
- Brush a bit of olive oil on the pizza crust or dough
- spread the caramelized onions on to the crust, followed by the spinach, mushrooms and cheese.
- Place your pizza on your preheated stone or pan and bake for 10 to 15 minutes depending on the crust/dough you use.
- While you are baking the pizza grill your skirt steak to your liking, let it rest slightly and slice.
- Remove pizza from oven and top with sliced skirt steak.