While I love to cook, I don’t enjoy baking. It requires measuring precisely and following a recipe for things to turn out right. These are two things that are not necessary when I cook. That being said, I don’t bake too often unless the recipe is forgiving or if it is for a dessert that I love. AND I LOVE chocolate. If you LOVE chocolate… then this super decadent, super rich chocolate cake with a silky chocolate glaze is for you. It is quick and easy. It is also a perfect dessert for Passover since it is flourless. I ran out of time to make this staple dessert for my Passover dessert, but I did make it for my neighbor’s Easter dinner. I also made some chocolate whipped cream ( referred to as whoop cream by my darling six year old daughter) to serve with it.
Fudgy Flourless Chocolate Glazed Cake
- 12 oz semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 teaspoon milk or heavy cream
- 3 teaspoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
Chocolate Whipped Cream Ingredients
- 3 cups of whipping cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions for the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Spray a 9-inch spring form pan with cooking spray.
- Melt 12 ounces of chocolate chips and the butter in a heavy saucepan over medium low heat.
- Stir until chocolate and butter are melted and smooth.
- Add sugar and salt and reduce heat to low. Cook another minute while stirring.
- Remove pan from heat and whisk in the eggs one at a time.
- Add vanilla
- Use a mesh hand sieve to sift cocoa into mixture to avoid lumps.
- Whisk until the cake batter is smooth.
- Pour batter into pan and bake for about 25 minutes. The center of the cake will be firm to the touch, but it will bounce back and be slightly moist. It is important not to over bake or the cake will be dry.
- Cool the cake in the pan on a cooling rack for 15 minutes.
- Invert the cake on a plate.
Prepare the Glaze:
- Melt 4 ounces of chocolate chips and 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter in a saucepan over medium low heat until melted and smooth.
- Remove from heat and stir in the milk, honey and vanilla.
- Let the glaze cool for a few minutes and then pour over cake. Use a spatula to spread the glaze evenly over the entire cake and sides.
- Let glaze set before serving or if you are short on time stick the cake in the freezer for 10 minutes to help the glaze set.
Prepare the Chocolate Whipped Cream:
- Sift powdered sugar and cocoa to avoid lumps
- Whip cream in a mixer on medium speed for about 1 minute.
- Add vanilla
- Slowly add sugar/cocoa mixture to whipped cream about 2 tablespoons at a time until the whipped cream is whipped to soft peaks.