Beans, Chili, crock pot, Dinner, food, Football, healthy, high protein, lean, lean beef, lunch, main dish, recipes, slow cooker, southwestern, spicy, turkey
I am fortunate that my kids eat virtually anything. It is however sometimes difficult to get my daughter to eat enough vegetables. One sure way is to make what we call winter chili. It is a combination of vegetables, beans, lean ground beef and lean ground turkey that cooks all day in the crock pot. It is filling and savory with just a bit of spice. It has a ton of ingredients, but it is really super easy to make. As a treat I serve it in a sourdough bread bowl with a touch of cheese and a spoonful of non fat Greek yogurt and green onions.
- 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 lb lean turkey beef
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped mixed bell peppers: green, yellow, orange, red
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 small onion sliced
- 1 cup chopped squash: yellow and green
- 1 cup frozen or fresh corn
- 1 cup frozen or fresh peas
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen green beans chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans rinsed to remove excess salt
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans rinsed to remove excess salt
- 2 (10.5 ounce) cans of chopped, diced or pureed tomatoes
- 1 beer (12 oz.) if you don’t want alcohol replace with vegetable or beef stock
- 3 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 Tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- Brown ground beef and turkey in a large saucepan.
- Drain all but 2 tablespoons of the fat. If there is not enough add a touch of olive oil to pan.
- Add the garlic and onion, cook and stir until tender.
- Place all ingredients in slow cooker, mix well, cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
I love the idea of the bread bowl. I made chili tonight, too! I will have to try the bread bowl next time we have it.
My kids love it that way!
i have always heard of chili, never tried it or rather don’t know much about it.. Is it like a soup?.
Chili is so wonderful! It is thicker than a soup and full of flavor. It is closer to a stew, because while there is some liquid the other contents really make the dish. This is just one type of chili!
I just made a vegetarian 4 bean chili that Noah and Steve loved. Josh kept making faces because he could see the veggies. LOL We forgo the bread bowls to try to save the carbs. But it is a cute idea. Josh would just eat the bread. LOL
Lol poor Josh. You know …I never eat the bread! Just thought about it.