A to Z, A to Z challenge, Apple, Baking, Cake, food, recipe, Upside Down Cake
So what food items start with “U”? Udon Noodles.. Ugli fruit..Umeboshi plums, Urchins…. and OHHH Upside Down Cake….but this one is apple…. not pineapple. The recipe is adapted from Martha Stewart. It is quite good and the cake is not too sweet. It is perfect with a cup of tea or coffee.
- 1 Stick of unsalted butter Plus 2 tablespoons room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 3 apples, cored, and each sliced into 8 wedges (gala, empire and golden delicious work best)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Take two tablespoons of butter and coat bottom and side of a 9-inch spring form cake pan
- Sprinkle bottom with brown sugar.
- In a medium bowl, toss apples with lemon juice
- Arrange apples in pan in two circles
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon and set aside.
- Beat 1 stick of butter with granulated sugar with an electric beater until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla and beat until incorporated.
- Put mixer on low speed and alternately add the flour mixture in three parts and the milk in two
- Pour batter over apples in pan
- Bake 45 to 55 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean,
- Cool cake in pan on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes
- Invert cake onto a platter.
Pingback: U is for Upside Down Apple Cake | homethoughtsfromabroad626
I really love apple pies, this looks wonderful.