A “Kugel” is a baked pudding generally made from potatoes or noodles. You can also call it a casserole. Potato Kugel is eaten year round, but it is often a Passover favorite. My kugel is basically like a potato latke (pancake) in a casserole form.
- 5lbs potatoes ( I dont peel them!)
- 2 onions
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup matzah meal
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1/2-1 tsp. pepper
- Preheat oven to 375
- In a small bowl, mix eggs, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Coarsely grate the potatoes and onion.
- Let stand 3-5 minutes and squeeze out the excess liquid.
- Put potatoes and onions in to a large bowl.
- Add egg mixture to the grated potatoes and onions.
- Mix together using hands
- Add matzah meal and mix with hands again until smooth.
- Pour into a greased 9×13 inch baking dish or a parchment lined foil pan
- Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour or until golden brown on top and a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Serve by itself or top with sour cream, greek yogurt or apple sauce.