I recently read the book The Shoemaker’s Wife: A Novel by Adriana Trigiani. I really enjoyed the story. The the main character Enza was from Italy and made gnocchi with brown butter and sage multiple times through out the story. I was inspired! You can make the gnocchi yourself or simply buy a package of pre-made gnocchi.
Ingredients for Gnocchi
- 3lbs of russett potatoes
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- pinch of salt
Ingredients for Sauce
- 2 gloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1 stick of butter
- 1/4 cup sage leaves coarsely chopped
- Black pepper
- Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
How to Make the Gnocchi:
- Boil the potatoes whole for about 45 minutes until they are soft.
- Let cool slightly, but while they are still warm peel and pass through vegetable mill onto a cutting board.
- Boil 6 quarts of water in a large stock pot (you can used the water that the potatoes were boiled in or start fresh)
- In a large bowl prepare an ice bath with 6 cups ice and 6 cups hot water and set aside
- Make a mound of the potatoes on the board and sprinkle with flour.
- Make a well in center of potatoes and place beaten egg and salt in center.
- Using a fork, stir into flour and potatoes until incorporated.
- Bring dough together and knead gently until you form a ball.
- Cut dough into 8 pieces and roll each into a snake-shaped log. (each should be as thick as your thumb)
- Cut ¾ inch pieces”pillows” from each log.
- Dust with flour.
- Shape the gnocchi by holding a fork in one hand and then place a gnocchi pillow against the tines of the fork.
- Set gnocchi aside and dust with flour until ready to boil.
- Drop up to 20 gnocchi into boiling water and cook until they float (about 1 minute
- As gnocchi float to top of boiling water, remove them to ice bath.
- Continue until all have been cooled off.
- Let sit several minutes in bath and drain from ice and water.
How to Make the Sauce:
- In a saucepan melt butter on medium heat.
- When butter begins to form bubbles add the chopped garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add the chopped sage to the garlic butter and stir the mixture for 1 to 2 additional minutes, until the butter has turned very light brown.
- Season to taste with black pepper.
- Add Gnocchi to the pan and gently toss.
- Serve in a bowl and top with a bit of Parmesan cheese.