I found this recipe on Pinterest a few weeks ago and I have made it several times already, each time altering it with a few more ingredients. My kids absolutely love these hot or cold. It is a great way to get some extra veges in to them. Toppings are endless – and there is no need for a bun!
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (which is 1 cup quinoa according to package directions)
- 3/4 cup of your favorite shredded cheese (low fat works well)
- 1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 medium carrot, finely grated
- 1/2 stalk finely diced celery
- 1 /2 cup shredded zucchini
- 1 clove finely grated
- 2 green onions diced
- 1 tablespoon red onion finely diced
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons wheat flour
- 1 /2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Olive oil for frying
In a large bowl combine the cooked quinoa, shredded cheese, cottage cheese, carrot, zuccini, celery, red onion, green onions, eggs, flour, sugar, pepper, cumin, salt, and garlic powder. Mix well.
Let the combined mixture set for a few minutes. Heat a on-stick frying pan with a couple teaspoons olive oil over medium-low heat. Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup to drop mixture into pan. Lightly flatten the burger and cook until golden brown (about 4 to 5 minutes) Flip burger and cook another 4 to 5 minutes.
Top burger with what ever you want. I combined some low fat mayo with 1/2 clove garlic and some fresh rosemary and then just piled on some veges we had in the house. The next day I ate them with some tzatziki sauce… the options are really endless.