One of my first posts when I started this blog 2 years ago was for Quinoa Burgers. Since then I have made them so many times I have lost track. Each time I have altered the recipe by adding different veges, replacing cheeses and eventually making them gluten free. The recipe below is my latest and most favorite rendition. I referred to these as “rainbow” because I used a mixture of red, white and black quinoa with a colorful array of veges.
These burgers are best hot, but they are also good cold too. They can be eaten on a bun or just on a plate. They are so versatile.
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (which is 1 cup quinoa according to package directions)
- 3/4 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Italian Cheese Mix: Parmesan, Romano & Asiago
- 1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 medium carrot chopped
- 1 stalk finely diced celery
- 1/2 cup shredded zucchini
- 2 cloves of finely grated garlic
- 2 green onions diced
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup gluten free panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Oil for frying
- In a large bowl combine the cooked quinoa, cheeses, cottage cheese, carrot, zucchini, celery, red onion, green onions, eggs, bread crumbs and spices. Mix well.
- Let the combined mixture set for a few minutes.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan( VERY important to use non-stick for this recipe) with a couple teaspoons oil over medium-low heat.
- Make small slider sized patties and place in the pan.
- Cook until golden brown (about 3 to 5 minutes) Flip burger and cook another 3 to 5 minutes. Dont try to move them around before they are cooked or they will fall apart.