Sunday is soup day in my house from early fall to late spring. Each week our family takes turns selecting the soup of the week. My daughter likes soups with cheese in it, my husband likes creamy soups, and I like hearty soups with a ton of veges. This week was my ten year old son’s turn. He selected a Dal soup, which is a creamy curry lentil soup. He of course continued to refer to has DOLL soup to drive my six year old daughter crazy. This is a protein packed vegetarian soup. We all loved the soup and everyone had a second bowl!
Dal Soup (adapted from Vitamix recipe)
1 cup dried lentils
2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
6 cups water or vegetable stock
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ teaspoon cumin
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon cardamom
½ teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon salt
¾ cup tomato paste
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 baked potatoes with skin
4 sprigs of cilantro plus 4 more for decoration
4 Tablespoons of low fat or non fat greek yogurt
1. Rinse the lentils with cold water and then place in a pot with 3 cups water or vegetable stock, and 1 chopped clove of garlic. Cook lentils on medium heat until all of the water is dissolved. Stir occasionally so the lentils don’t stick to the pot. When done set them aside.
2. Chop the onion and the remaining garlic glove and saute in a soup pot with olive oil until soft.
3. Add all the spices and the tomato paste, mix will and cook for another minute.
4. Add the remaining 3 cups of water or vegetable stock to soup pot and bring to a boil.
5. Put lentils, potatoes, cilantro and soup liquid to a blender and blend on high until well blended.
6. Pour soup into bowls and top with a tablespoon of Greek yogurt and a spring of cilantro.