A to Z, A to Z challenge, Cooking, Dinner, food, Food Photography, Gnocchi, pasta, Pesto, photography, Photos, recipe, Sauce
Not only is the A to Z challenge a challenge to keep up with, but it really does present a challenge in the kitchen! Always trying to make and post a food item with the letter of the day! Not to mention that although I have written a few of these in advance I didn’t quite set the publish times correctly. (oops!)
Today’s letter is P – and the food item for today is Pesto. I grow basil all year round to cook with. I could put basil in almost anything! Pesto is quick and easy to make. My kids love it and use as a condiment almost as much as some people use ketchup. It is great as a sauce, or as a spread for a sandwich or wrap!
For this meal, we added it to some fresh Gnocchi! YUM!
- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino cheese
- 1/4 cup pine nuts or walnuts
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Combine the basil, garlic, and pine nuts in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Add 1/2 cup of the oil and continue to process until smooth.
- Add the cheese and pulse until incorporated
- Season with salt and pepper.
Sounds yummy! We love to make our pesto with smoked almonds. We also grow basil all year round, isn’t it nice to have fresh in the middle of January?
I love making pesto with Almonds. My dad was allergic to nuts – and the only ones he could eat were almonds. I use to make my pesto with almonds when he was at my house. Yes Love having Basil all year round… once an a while my cat gets to it though!