Not only is the A to Z challenge a challenge to keep up with, but it really does present a challenge in the kitchen! Always trying to make and post a food item with the letter of the day! Not to mention that although I have written a few of these in advance I didn’t quite set the publish times correctly. (oops!)
Today’s letter is P – and the food item for today is Pesto. I grow basil all year round to cook with. I could put basil in almost anything! Pesto is quick and easy to make. My kids love it and use as a condiment almost as much as some people use ketchup. It is great as a sauce, or as a spread for a sandwich or wrap!
For this meal, we added it to some fresh Gnocchi! YUM!
- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino cheese
- 1/4 cup pine nuts or walnuts
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Combine the basil, garlic, and pine nuts in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Add 1/2 cup of the oil and continue to process until smooth.
- Add the cheese and pulse until incorporated
- Season with salt and pepper.