While my family was visiting our cousins for July 4th weekend, our cousin “K” made this great tortellini salad. It was a huge hit with my daughter and my husband. Perfect for a picnic or bbq! The recipe was part of a collection of recipes from family and friends that she and her mom put together to create a family recipe book as a holiday gift for her sister. The recipe is called “Aunt Shirley’s Pasta Salad” created by an Aunt of a friend of “K’s” sister.
Ingredients for Salad
- 1lb of tortellini (I used tri-color because that is what I had)
- 4 chopped tomatoes ( I used 1 pint of grape tomatoes cut in half)
- 1 8-10 oz package of frozen chopped spinach
- 1/2 lb grated Jarlsberg cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
Ingredients for Dressing
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped garlic
- Cook tortellini according to package and drain
- Combine tortellini, tomatoes, spinach, cheese, salt and pepper in a bowl and mix well
- Put dressing ingredients in a blender and blend until mixture becomes a consistency of a mayonnaise.
- Pour over salad and mix well.
- Chill in refrigerator for at least 1/2 day