So I left work today whining to my colleague “JR” about not knowing what I was going to make for dinner. We were walking to the parking lot and I felt a bit lost about I was going to make for my family. I generally have the entire week planned and here it is ONLY Tuesday and I was at a ALREADY at a loss. “JR” suggested pizza, but I just was not in the mood for that. I headed to the supermarket and that is where I came across huge portobello mushrooms. YUM! Perfect! Now as long as the rain stops long enough… I could grill these. I continued to walk around in a fog until I was satisfied with what I had in my basket. Just a reminder don’t go to the market when you are hungry 😎
So cranky and hungry here is what I came up with: Grilled portobello mushroom burger top with roasted red pepper, fresh mozzarella, basil, and a crunchy onion ring. (I told you not to go to shopping when you are hungry) I put the burger on a garlic toasted Portuguese roll (Ciabata rolls were all gone) with a mild chipotle aioli.
I served the burgers with a watermelon-mint-feta salad.
- 4 Portobello Mushrooms
- Balsamic vinegar
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 of your favorite rolls
- 1 roasted red pepper cut in to quarters
- 4 slices of fresh mozzarella
- Sprigs of basil
- Onion rings (cooked according to package) – I used Alexxa Oven Baked Panko Onion Rings
For Chipotle Aioli: low fat Hellman’s Mayonnaise, chipotle sauce, and ketchup
- Preheat grill.
- Marinate the mushrooms in some balsamic vinegar (just enough to soak them) and salt and pepper to taste. Let marinate for about 15 minutes.
- While they are marinating prepare the chipotle aioli by mixing 4 tablespoons for mayonnaise, a teaspoon of chipotle sauce and a teaspoon of ketchup.
- Split the rolls open and drizzle olive oil on top and bottom, sprinkle with garlic powder and place inside down on grill to toast.
- Remove rolls from grill and spread chipotle aioli on top and bottom.
- Put mushrooms on grill and brush lightly with olive oil.
- Grill 7-10 minutes on each side depending on size
- Place roasted pepper and cheese and continue to grill until melted.
- Remove from grill, place on bun, top with basil and onion rings.