Apple, Baked Goods, Caramel, cookies, Cooking, Dessert, Filling, food, Food Photography, Fruit Filling, Haman, Hamantaschen, Hamantashen, Holiday, Holidays, Jewish, pastries, photo, photography, Photos, Purim, Salted Caramel
Every year I test another filling for Hamantaschen cookies. This year I wanted something sweet and salty and came up with this filling. It is sweet but the salt offsets it.
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 3 Medium granny smith apples
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar
How to: Preheat oven to 450
- The first step is to make the “caramel” by pouring 1 can of sweetened condensed milk into a glass pie plate
- Sprinkle with salt
- Cover plate with aluminum foil
- Put plate into a large roasting pan and fill pan with water so that it reaches half way up pie plate
- Put pan in oven and cook for 90 minutes, checking the water level through out.
- Remove from oven, remove foil and whisk the caramel adding a bit more salt.
- Let cool.
- Wash, peel and core apples.
- Shred apples
- On stove top boil 3/4 cup water and 3/4 sugar
- Add apples and cook until all liquid has cooked out
- Remove from heat and add caramel and salt to taste.
- Let cool